[Linux-aus] Voting Code - nearly done!

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Fri Nov 26 19:02:02 UTC 2004

Hi,
> > In line with concerns that Anand has raised about this process, is it
> > proper for a committee member to receive paid employment from the
> > organisation, without a vote of all members? Is it proper for a
> > committee to award paid work, to one of their own, without such an
> > action being put to a vote of all of the members? Is that allowed under
> > NSW law that applies to incorporated associations?
>
> I don't believe this is in our constitution. I guess that if such things
> need to be put to the community then we can certainly do this in future.
> We saw it as normal running costs of the organisation, and Stewart was
> deemed the most appropriate for the job, especially given his previous
> work of the code. We'll make sure this kind of expense is tabled earlier
> from now on.

A non-profit association is not about not paying people for things, it
is about not making a profit that is just "handed out" to directors, like in
a normal company.

So for example, a person can be paid for work (It's no different to say
the good samaratins getting a worksman out to fix a leak in the roof)
and it's not an issue, and being on the committee is not any
different.

However, the issue of whether the members should be allowed to vote on
this is entirely separate and the organisations decision, but I
personally beleive it's fine for the committee to assess the situation
and act on behalf of the membership (thats after-all why we elect them)
I also think the use of stewart in this case would be far better than
some outsider with no previous experience.

Cheers,
Trent
Bur.st

--