[Linux-aus] RELEASE: DON'T LET YOUR VENDOR'S ROADMAP LEAD YOU UP THE GARDEN PATH

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Mon May 17 09:47:01 UTC 2004

Hi Stewart,

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 12:16, Stewart Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 17:48, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > These are interesting words to choose, when quite a number of FOSS projects
> > are developing future-looking roadmaps that, while intended to be fulfilled,
> > may not be. :-)
>
> I think the difference is - we admit that we might not make them :)

That is not a problem.

For companies and their PHBs in particular, one key indicator for
whether to take a software vendor seriously or not is the existance of a
roadmap. We are frequently asked for one, and we can provide. Yes it
shifts and changes somewhat, but the PHBs understand that. In any case,
it answers their question, a sense that the vendor is at least planning
ahead. Rightly or wrongly, a roadmap is one of the tests.

Many potentially important OSS projects refuse to make a roadmap on the
grounds that it changes anyway. As a consequence, those projects will
not be accepted by many businesses. We can scream bloody murder over the
injustice of it all, but that's the way it is right now.

As Jeff said, GNOME has a roadmap. That's good.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Sydney 7 Jun 2004 (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?ref=marl