[Linux-aus] Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Mar 25 09:13:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:38, Stewart Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 12:45, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
>> This does require a group of people to volunteer to moderate non
>> subscriber posts, but it has worked well on a few lists I'm on (the
>> spam level has dropped to zero).

> Which means increased latency of posts going through - and let's face
> it - some discussions can go pretty quickly.

In point of fact, I "moderate" and drop about half a dozen spam and
viruses a day from the Linux-Aus list.

In the past year, I've only had to bless about four real messages that
were (for example) CC'ed or otherwise indirectly addressed to the list.

There have been zero SpamAssassin near-misses, so having the list simply
drop SA-cursed messages on the floor would make my job much easier.
For that, I think we need a later version of MailMan. We could also
safely wind up SA's sensitivity a tad, and as I mentioned before,
perhaps employ DSPAM for a second opinion. In the next few days I'll be
putting DSPAM up on my personal email server, to get more of a direct
feel for it before thinking about deploying it anywhere like LA.

The heart of the issue before us at the moment is that closing the list
is IMESHO a significant over-reaction: there's much more we could do to
ameliorate spam and viruses yet that has a far lower impact on day to
day list use.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA