[Linux-aus] Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Tue Mar 23 17:49:01 UTC 2004

  [ a small voice from the silent but otherwise interested
  majority... ]

I have refrained from jumping in and saying anything for a long
time, but I really have to agree with Bret on this one.

At the very least, can the current linux-aus mailing list policy be
seriously reconsidered by the "powers who be" ?  (please?)  I'm
willing to live with whatever the ultimate decision is, but
personally I would dearly like to see this mailing list restricted
to posts from subscribers only.

 [Admittedly, event this would not be 100% foolproof... with the
 latest mutations, viruses (like spammers) are now regularly
 spoofing real sender addresses, so on its own even this measure
 still won't automatically stop them if they happen to hit the
 listserver spoofing a known subscriber.]

On Tue Mar 23 2004 at 17:00, Bret Busby wrote:

> > On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 07:50:54AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > Is this right?
> > >
> > > Is Linux Australia, in addition to distributing spam, also now
> > > distributing viruses?
> > >
> > > Perhaps, once again, it is time to review the list policy of allowing
> > > non-subscribers to post to the list, and, allowing them to post
> > > absolutely anything to the list, allowing Linux Australia to be used as
> > > a vehicle for distributing malicious code....
> >
> > If it offends you so much, may I suggest unsubscribing? LA aren't
> > holding you captive to the list - it's purely opt-in!

> So, you believe that the purpose of Linux Australia, is to distribute
> spam and viruses?
>
> Hmmm.

> Bret Busby

Cheers