[Linux-aus] Headline - Gates, Howard launch $40m project

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Tue Jun 29 16:22:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 01:05:53PM +1000, Pia Smith wrote:
> Dear linux-aus,
>
> Pia Smith wants you to know about this story on http://smh.com.au.
>
> Personal Message:
> We _really_ need to get organised. We should be organising these kinds of initiatives. We should be supporting computerbank more as we are losing this battle. What good will 100 microsoft driven community centres do, when they get caught in the loop, and start spending community money sustaining the microsoft environment? We could always offer the gov an alt way to spend the generous donation ;)

Democrats respond:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/business/0,39023166,39151789,00.htm

But Greig today characterised the Microsoft's community welfare
contributions as tainted charity.

According to Greig, the software tycoon's global philanthropy exercises
carry a hidden agenda to persuade beneficiary governments to reverse
policies promoting the use of open source software.

Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477