[Linux-aus] Travel Grant Application

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jun 16 16:26:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:55:10PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:18:50PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > The beer thing was in jest; I would be giving a presentation if I was
> > over there, on freedesktop.org and X.
>
> Sure, but ignoring the sob stories, the only thing you told us you'd be
> doing over there other than drinking and spending money was:
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 01:13:47PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > I would attend
> > largely as a representative of freedesktop.org (none of our other
> > valiant leaders can go), and hopefully beat KDE into standards
> > submission.
>
> I was inclined to take the latter half of that as mostly a joke too --
> and the drinking beer part certainly seems a lot more likely to pan
> out than that anyway. It was all pretty non-specific, and really "a
> presentation on freedesktop.org and X" isn't a lot better. Don't you at
> least have an abstract, or even some pre-prepared slides, to offer LA
> as evidence of what LA's money is going to buy the community?

I do not have an abstract or slides - I was asked to bring the KDE
community up to speed on various projects within fd.o, as well as what
we're doing with X. So, it would include a high-level overview of fd.o
projects such as UIM and others, and an overview of all our X work in
progress, and where we hope to go with X and standards in the future.
The platform and Utopia stack would also get a look-in.

I've been relatively snowed under between my X work and exams lately, so
I've not had time to prepare an abstract. My last exam is next week, so
hopefully I can get things a little better together. I've been talking
with the aKademy crew, and they've said that they'd welcome any talk I
did on fd.o and X, and there's no real formal paper process as such
(they usually have more room for talks than offers; another difference
to LCA which some may not realise).

> I'm not meaning to imply that your trip's not worth funding, just that
> the grant proposal probably isn't focussed properly, possibly to the
> extent of causing LA legal troubles if it's a grant's made on the basis
> of nothing more than the proposal. IANAL, YMMV, IMHO, etc.

Well, if I got the grant, I'd obviously start writing my talk, for one.
Not much point in writing a talk you're never going to give. I can
assure you it would be quite valuable, and I'm willing to go back and
focus this more if it's requested. Apologies for the flippancy if it's
caused problems.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel at fooishbar.org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,