[Linux-aus] Travel Grant Application

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed Jun 16 16:09:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:18:50PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> The beer thing was in jest; I would be giving a presentation if I was
> over there, on freedesktop.org and X.

Sure, but ignoring the sob stories, the only thing you told us you'd be
doing over there other than drinking and spending money was:

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 01:13:47PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> I would attend
> largely as a representative of freedesktop.org (none of our other
> valiant leaders can go), and hopefully beat KDE into standards
> submission.

I was inclined to take the latter half of that as mostly a joke too --
and the drinking beer part certainly seems a lot more likely to pan
out than that anyway. It was all pretty non-specific, and really "a
presentation on freedesktop.org and X" isn't a lot better. Don't you at
least have an abstract, or even some pre-prepared slides, to offer LA
as evidence of what LA's money is going to buy the community?

I'm not meaning to imply that your trip's not worth funding, just that
the grant proposal probably isn't focussed properly, possibly to the
extent of causing LA legal troubles if it's a grant's made on the basis
of nothing more than the proposal. IANAL, YMMV, IMHO, etc.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.