[Linux-aus] LCA in New Zealand???

Pia Smith pia at linux.org.au
Wed Jun 16 10:24:52 UTC 2004

Hi all,

One further thing I didn't put in the news was part of my trip included
3 days in New Zealand. I was coming through New Zealand as part of my
flight anyway, and thought it would be a great opportunity to catch up
with Mike Beattie, who many of you at LCA2004 might remember was running
around trying to sell us for having LCA2006 in Dunedin, New Zealand.
There have been a few threads on linux-aus about this, and we've spoken
to many people about it. The general consensus thus far is generally
quite positive and open to the concept.

Anyway, I travelled down to Dunedin, and met up with Mike, Kelvin, Alex
and a funny character everyone knows as Mr Goblin (he looks exactly like
one!). They were all really keen for LCA, however only Mike had ever
been to an LCA, so the other 3 were still curious. These 4 plus one
other person are the core team Mike has organised, and as far as I know
all of them are coming to Canberra for LCA2005. Regardless they are
quite keen, and were eager to know what they could do to help with their
bid. I believe something in the spirit of Perth is being arranged (aka -
a video), and considering the Lord of the Rings draw-card, it should
prove quite amusing :)

Everyone had different skills, and a huge number of contacts between
them. They spoke about collaborating with the other NZ LUGs once they
get more organised, and were keen to keep the technical and personal
nature of the conference. They were also keen to maintain the LCA
tradition and name.

I looked at the university campus, and it was excellent! Lots of space,
excellent facilities, very pretty, etc. Mike will be posting photos or
something of the facilities at some point for everyone to look at.
Dunedin is a large university town, around 120,000 including around
30,000 students :) I've already had a few people say, "Dunedin! If it is
in Dunedin, I'll definitely come". Lots of international speakers have
also been keen for New Zealand.

Rock on, and many thanks to Glynn (roadtrip rocked dude!), Mike, and all
the Dunedin crew for their hospitality and warmth.
Pia

--
Pia Smith <pia at linux.org.au>
Linux Australia