Re: [Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

On 29/01/2004, at 5:29 PM, linux-aus@amos.mailshell.com wrote:

Michael Davies wrote:
<personal opinion>
Linux [and Free and Open-Source Software] [in] Australia.
</personal opinion>

That's not what I read in the charter -

"Linux Australia" is a non-profit organisation of volunteers seeking to
promote Linux within Australia. This document describes the goal and
direction of "Linux Australia".

I admit to be new (and still an outsider) in the Oz FOSS space, but
"LINUX Australia" and the charter make it sound like it's all about
LINUX, and not about FOSS in general.

That's just it; this probably isn't accurate (anymore). From my perspective:

- LA wishes to advocate a hell of a lot more than just Linux.

- The current LA committee seem to both be very interested in advocating from a users perspective, and most are both very experienced and terribly competent at this, although with the current aims of LA, this perhaps isn't their primary aim.

I still think that there needs to be two distinctly defined 'faces' to handling the more technical crowd and the user/corporate crowd, but there's masses of potential in what we already have if we can harness it correctly. I can forsee problems having the same group trying to advocate to both sides of the coin, though; LA *has* to keep it's technical focus.

Signature space for rent.