[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Fri Jan 30 10:41:01 UTC 2004

There is no point tackling MS software head on in schools. Mostly it
does an OK job(they have nothing better to compare it with) and costs
them practically nothing (but it all adds up).

I think it becomes a question of diversity of thinking.

We have to tackle educational outcomes. If we can show that students get
a poorer education making exclusive use of MS products vs using a
diverse range of software I think that is stronger than just economic or
technical arguments. And diverse means keeping MS software and Apple
Macs and throwing OSS into the mix.

You might as well send all the students to MacDonalds to get an
education as have them participate in ICT in schools at the moment.