[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Ryan Verner xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au
Thu Jan 29 17:19:01 UTC 2004

On 29/01/2004, at 5:29 PM, linux-aus at amos.mailshell.com wrote:

> Michael Davies wrote:
>> <personal opinion>
>> Linux [and Free and Open-Source Software] [in] Australia.
>> </personal opinion>
>
> That's not what I read in the charter -
>
> "Linux Australia" is a non-profit organisation of volunteers seeking to
> promote Linux within Australia. This document describes the goal and
> direction of "Linux Australia".
>
> I admit to be new (and still an outsider) in the Oz FOSS space, but
> "LINUX Australia" and the charter make it sound like it's all about
> LINUX, and not about FOSS in general.

That's just it; this probably isn't accurate (anymore).  From my
perspective:

- LA wishes to advocate a hell of a lot more than just Linux.

- The current LA committee seem to both be very interested in
advocating from a users perspective, and most are both very experienced
and terribly competent at this, although with the current aims of LA,
this perhaps isn't their primary aim.

I still think that there needs to be two distinctly defined 'faces' to
handling the more technical crowd and the user/corporate crowd, but
there's masses of potential in what we already have if we can harness
it correctly.  I can forsee problems having the same group trying to
advocate to both sides of the coin, though; LA *has* to keep it's
technical focus.

Signature space for rent.