[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Jan 29 12:22:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 01:57:42PM +1030, Paul Shirren wrote:
> The fact is LA, and AUUG are too good at what they do to risk diluting
> them. I don't want linux.conf.au to turn into a trade show.

FWIW, I think LA's goal is (and should be) to be able to do both things;
I think LA would be a great success if it was acting both as the financial
umbrella for l.c.a each year and was promoting a purely PHB-oriented
Linux tradeshow (or roadshow).

I don't think LA's involvement in l.c.a is anywhere near so tight as
to mean LA can't do the same job for folks interested in Linux in a
completely different way to your average l.c.a attendee.

> The Open Source Roadshow is a great idea. It could be managed by a
> committee on behalf of LA as are the confs. But why not broaden the base
> a bit?

Which is to say, broadening the base is a great idea (and having a
separate committee probably is too), but hopefully those newbies can be
welcomed into LA.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.