[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Thu Jan 29 11:29:01 UTC 2004

I am with Arjen on this.

LA is vitally important as is AUUG. But a third group, with the support
of LA, AUUG and industry concentrating purely on pushing OSS to
business/goverment is probably due. Imagine it as an extension of the
OSG conf co-operation mixed with a bit of OSV style industry involvement
but bigger.

The fact is LA, and AUUG are too good at what they do to risk diluting
them. I don't want linux.conf.au to turn into a trade show.

I think we need LA, AUUG, SAGE?, ACS?, OSV, SLPWA, OSBNSA and a stack of
industry leaders to get together and contribute some resources.

The Open Source Roadshow is a great idea. It could be managed by a
committee on behalf of LA as are the confs. But why not broaden the base
a bit? In the end it is about creating worthwhile jobs for Australian
techs so why not get more people involved that just LA.

What I think we need is a body thats day to day runnings are independant
and totally focussed on creating lots of good jobs for us by raising OSS
awareness. They should work very closely with the existing community
focussed groups and industry, but they need to be independent so they
can concentrate on the task.

With respect to DSL the One Ring analogy is very wrong, because there
should not be any heirachy involved. If anything the new org should be
answerable to its members which should include AUUG and LA IMO (not on
day to day stuff, but certainly on overall direction)

And with respect to Micheal, perhaps we do need another voice. But an
entirely different one. One that only speaks non-technical, business
speak. Having another group duplicating LA or AUUG would be silly.
Perhaps having AUUG and LA duplicating LA and AUUG is a bit silly
sometimes but that is another matter.