[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Jan 29 10:09:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 06:23:37PM +1100, Rusty Russell wrote:
> There's been talk of a Linux/OSS Roadshow around Australia.
> This would be aimed at managers and users, rather than technical
> people, with demonstrations etc. (think mini tradeshow, one morning or
> one day maximum).

I know Pia's talked about this in the past; I think the conception then
was to get various vendors involved, and tour around with working demos
of Linux in action -- acting as a file server, database server, desktop,
thin client, integrating with Windows, etc -- and letting people try
Linux out, and see if it might do useful things for them, and talk to
people who know what they're talking about and so on.

I think that has some value: having all the vendors/participants be
working together to provide services on a single network, rather than
having their own independent booths. Yay interoperability :)

Are there any talks? Maybe a breakfast and/or lunch talk would work,
so that people don't have to take too much time out of their day to
be involved.

(If it's to be useful for people familiar with Linux as well as getting
newbies involved, having some hands-on, two/three hour tutorials/training
sessions might be an option too. "Introduction to OpenOffice"? "Using
Gnumeric?")

Is the idea to have a single group that goes around the country and
does all the setting up etc; or to have each LUG/interested group at
the appropriate venues do the setting up, with maybe one or two people
coming around to ensure some consistency?

> I suspect there'll be some interest here.  Consider this a call for
> volunteers.

Don't like volunteering for things when I've no idea what they involve :)

Cheers,
aj, interested at any rate

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004