[Linux-aus] Favourite Dist./Editor/Shell on LCA'04 Name Tags

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Mon Jan 26 07:06:02 UTC 2004

Hi Anshul,

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 17:55, Anshul Gupta wrote:
> On 23/01/2004, at 6:41 PM, Stewart Smith wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 18:05, Anshul Gupta wrote:
> >> Just out of interest, do we have break-ups?
> >
> > Oh please - let's not start this flame war....
>
> Don't intend to start a flame war. Was just interested in break by
> numbers not names.

Most flame-wars don't start by intention ;-)

Anyway, you don't need a crystal ball (or the LCA2004 stats) to know
what the predominant distro at LCA2004 was: it's Debian.
Remember that Bdale did a raise of hands in the main hall?

I run SuSE 9.0 - and I know that around here, that's "rare".

It's just a bit of fun, putting that info on the name tags. It has no
real-world relevance, as LCA-attendees do NOT in any way make up a cross
section of the average Linux user (particularly since it is a technical
conference). Linux use is moving into the user space, and that's not the
crowd that LCA attracts. I'm sure we can agree on that ;-)

Debian is very popular with the tech crowd in Australia, lots of people
active for it. In Europe, you'll see many running SuSE and RedHat. In
the US and elsewhere on the planet, lots of Red Hat (/Fedora). And so
on. So it's geographically diverse, too.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Brisbane 2 Feb 2004 (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl