[Linux-aus] LCA2006

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sat Jan 24 08:56:02 UTC 2004

Anshul,

> Holding an Australian Conference in NZ. First problem will be the
> sponsors, LCA is sponsored by Australian counterparts of the companies.
> Most of them have separate company for NZ operations, they may/may not
> sponsor an event outside AU. So we have to look for local sponsors in
> NZ.

The way the sponsors get the money to any sponsored event -- be that an LCA,
The Tour Down Under or anything -- is a black art. Multi-national companies
have a peculiar way of doing things but they are very effective at doing
them.

I don't think that this is an issue. LCA's are starting to become noticed
events and I think I'm allowed to point out that all of the big name
companies sponsored LCA 2004. I am confident that more than one of them will
talk to the LCA 2005 organisers in a bid for the Penguin Sponsor.

What the sponsors worry about is exposure and being able to get to their
community. In addition there's a fair dose of "goodwill" involved as well.
If the community decides to hold an LCA in New Zealand I doubt the sponsors
will have any problem.

The only problem *I* can see with going to NZ is that I might want to go on
the *partner programme* and see its beautiful landscape than the conference
;-)

DSL