[Linux-aus] LCA2006

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Fri Jan 23 15:54:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 02:53:39PM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> If you happen to be located on the eastern sea board.  Otherwise you
> need to take into account flights from the other side of the country to
> get to the eastern sea board to get those "cheap" flights to NZ.  It
> would cost me $400 more (at least) to goto NZ than to say Hobart for
> instance purely based on flight costs.

It cost me about $400 more to go to Adelaide than it would have for me
to stay in Brisbane, purely based on flight costs too. Big deal.

If you can't make the conference one year, well, that sucks, but that's
one reason why it's good to keep moving it around. No particular place
is perfect for everyone.

> Personally I think Linux Australia (as a representative body for
> *Australian* Linux users) should take the interests of its Australian
> members into account before those of a different country IMHO in respect
> of where to host future LCAs.

One of the ways in which they're doing this is by considering sharing the
conference with New Zealand in order to avoid having the NZers start their
own competing conference and drawing away interest and speakers from LCA.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004