[Linux-aus] LCA2006

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Fri Jan 23 16:39:02 UTC 2004

Nope, not at all.  Qantas' online booking app couldn't find any flights
from various AU cities at various times of the year to Dunedin at all,
so I just picked the nearest city they did have flights to.

Personally I think that making the conference a more expensive exercise
for the majority of people that it is being organised for is only going
to serve to push it away from a community based conference and more
towards a more corporate style conference.  In that people who aren't
working in high paying jobs and/or having their employer sending them
along to it simply aren't going to be able to attend the conference, so
the majority of attendees will be from corporate environments and hence
looking for sessions orientated around that.

The other argument is that if flights to NZ from the east coast are
cheap, then one would presume that starting at the NZ end and flying
*to* Australia would cost the same?  So in fairness for attendees from
wider Australia *and* NZ, wouldn't a good compromise be to have it in
say Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne so that its cheaper for NZ attendees
and its also relatively cheap for Australian attendees as well?
Personally I see it as the best option to try and cater equally for NZ
attendees and the attendees from wider Australia.

All of course IMHO.

/ Ben