[Linux-aus] LCA2006

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jan 23 15:31:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Ben Jensz wrote:

> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:53:39 +0800
> From: Ben Jensz <plug at jensz.id.au>
> To: linux-aus at linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] LCA2006
>
> If you happen to be located on the eastern sea board.  Otherwise you
> need to take into account flights from the other side of the country to
> get to the eastern sea board to get those "cheap" flights to NZ.  It
> would cost me $400 more (at least) to goto NZ than to say Hobart for
> instance purely based on flight costs.  Considering there is a zero
> chance of me winning an RDP again, then any future trips to LCA will be
> funded out of my own pocket.
>
> Personally I think Linux Australia (as a representative body for
> *Australian* Linux users) should take the interests of its Australian
> members into account before those of a different country IMHO in respect
> of where to host future LCAs.
>
> Anyway, if there are enough people in NZ to have an LCA there, then why
> don't they hold one in their own right anyway (LCNZ)?
>

> / Ben
>

> Ryan Verner wrote:
>

> > It's actually cheap as hell these days to fly to NZ (cheaper than flying
> > to Perth from Sydney, for example), and I don't think you need a
> > passport to do so, so it's a reasonably sane suggestion.  Apparently the
> > LUG's over there are quite dominant, too.

And, did you take into account, the additional cost of flying to
Dunedin, from an international airport in NZ? In a previous message, I
believe that I mentioned that as far as I am aware, international
flights from Australia (or from WA, anyway), do not go to Dunedin.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."