[Linux-aus] LCA2006

Shane Stephens shans at research.canon.com.au
Fri Jan 23 13:09:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 15:35, Ryan Verner wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 14:51, Anshul Gupta wrote:
> > Second is attendees, I guess it too much trouble for many people to fly
> > down to NZ. So organizers should be prepared for low attendance.
>
> It's actually cheap as hell these days to fly to NZ (cheaper than flying
> to Perth from Sydney, for example), and I don't think you need a
> passport to do so, so it's a reasonably sane suggestion.  Apparently the
> LUG's over there are quite dominant, too.
>
> I'd personally go to a LCA in NZ (it's a nice country!), but I agree, I
> forsee low attendance unless they're particulary good at promoting the
> event to reluctant aussies.

Just out of interest:  Don't we already have a sizable Kiwi contingent
attending LCAs in Australia?

Assurances such as:
	* No visa or permit requirements
	* Cheap flights (my quick check revealed flights to NZ for 			$180;
compare with flights to Hobart for $170)
	* wonderful venue

should help keep attendance rates up.  Really, the only issue from the
point of view of attendees is the requirement for a passport.

Cheers,
	-Shane