[Linux-aus] Broome 2006 (was: Election results)

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sun Jan 18 20:16:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:59, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Jacqueline McNally wrote:
>>> Broome in 2006! (-:

>> I heard on the radio a couple of days ago that there are now four
>> Australian capital cities that have direct flights to/from Broome.

I heard elsewhere that they're expecting flights from Singapore starting
this year and from Tokyo "soon".

>> It's a pretty amazing sight as you come into land, the different
>> shades of Kimberley red and blue of the ocean.

And green of lush vegetation.

> It definitely is an amazing view.  When I flew back into Broome today
> the plane took a slightly different route than I've seen before and
> followed the coast from the south for 15-20mins before landing.  The
> colour of the water was a brilliant turquoise colour and constrasted
> against the almost glowing red coastline with the strip of beach look
> great.  Its a pity I didn't have my digital camera on standby to take
> some snaps out the window as we were approaching Broome.

Agree.

> If anyone wanted to seriously do an LCA in Broome, it would
> technically be possible if we could get the right people locally
> involved (namely TAFE and the Shire as those two have appropriate
> venues close to each other).  If it was held at a time of year when
> there wasn't so many tourists around, there would be heaps of
> accomodation available.  Broome during peak tourist season swells
> from a local population of 15000 to over 3 times that figure at its
> peak, so there would be more than enough choice of accomodation for
> ~500 people.

> I think the big aim of Leon's little slideshow was to make people
> think a little bit outside of the square and consider that LCA
> doesn't necessarily have to be run in a capital city, or even a big
> capital city.

True. Although let this not distract you from the actual possibility of
really running an LCA in Broome - maybe in 2007 since 2006 seems to be
fiercely contested.

For the curious non-attenders, the slideshow is up here:

    http://cyberknights.com.au/lca-in-broome-2006/

You will want a screen larger than 1024x768 for viewing it, there were
lots of words that went with it at the actual conf (probably even
recorded and maybe available on the DVD - if the organisers want to put
this and/or the original .sxi in the kit, they're welcome to), and the
sunset over the jetty is actually at Monkey Mia, not Broome (but could
happen anywhere on the coast) - I've sailed on that cat, the Shotover
(http://www.monkeymiawildsights.com.au/history.htm)<*>, which has set
several ocean racing records which remain unbroken.

Cheers; Leon

<*> the HTML on this site is fairly badly broken. Try removing the
leading "_border/" from some paths and see how you get on.

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia