[Linux-aus] Re: [OT] dodging frogs in Sandfire

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sat Jan 10 20:56:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:03, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Day time driving is fine, but night time driving at anything above
> 80km/hr is mad unless you're driving a beefy 4WD with a decent
> bullbar.

The only time I went that slowly was dodging frogs near Sandfire - or to
be brutally candid, dodging occasional potholes the size of a Beetle
and letting the frogs make their own arrangements.

I remember crossing the Nullarbor (in 1985?) in a Tarago and having to
do 30km/h on some sections so I could swerve between the 'roos that
dotted the road like trees in an uncleared paddock. Is that insane
enough? (-:

I also remember SYD -> MEL on the same trip, inching up to a yellow
flashing light in really thick fog, visibility about ten meters, to
discover that the light was warning me of 30-meter visibility. To give
you some idea of the accuracy of that 30 meters, I was looking up at
about 30 degrees by the time I could actually read the high-contrast
illuminated sign. Much foggier and the sign would have been too far up
to read. Irony, anyone? (-:

I also remember (glances off a current topic) 20km/h down that godawful
hill in Adelaide (in about 1988), and seeing 3/4 of a long semitrailer
sticking up out of the downhill side of the fog, at a funny angle,
wheels up, three axles in the air one morning. Range about 50m. Not a
sight to inspire one to recklessness.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA