[Linux-aus] Legal issues, minutes?

Anand Kumria treasurer at linux.org.au
Sat Jan 10 16:40:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 05:41:21AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> No one from the committee actually made it known that there were legal
> issues in the way of providing the community with any information about the
> work of the committee. I pinged you guys a few times, but didn't receive any
> response that indicated the minutes could not be published.

Our initial advice had that even mentioning that legal issues were a
problem could be a problem. Subsquent advice has meant, after appropriate
modification of minutes, we can release minutes.

> So, what were the legal issues preventing LA from letting us know what was
> happening with the organisation *at all*?

ASIC authorised the change of name of ACN 008 211 201 to 'Linux
Australia Pty Ltd'. Subsequently ACN 008 211 201 also changed its name
and ACN 106 131 971 and ACN 106 123 022 (Linux Australia Pty Ltd and
Linux Australia Holdings Pty Ltd, respectively) were also been registered.

IPAustralia received TradeMark registration 955420 from one of those
organisations (the TM applications lists ACN 008211201) and subsequently
we received a letter from a legal firm.

The rest I'll leave up to speculation for now.

> Are they sorted out now?

No.

> Will the next committee have to deal with them?

Yes.

Regards,
Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never