[Linux-aus] State representation on the board: vision for LA

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Fri Jan 9 13:24:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 03:07:25PM +1030, Paul Shirren wrote:

I admit, I'm addicted.

> It seems to me that the desire for a local rep is partly
> 2 parochialism
> I dismiss 2 outright. I am sick of state vs state stupidity.

State versus state *competition* is great. Trying to do better than
Sydney, specifically because it was Sydney, was one of the motivations
for us doing the Brisbane l.c.a, and I think that one of Perth and
Adelaide both got a bit of extra motivation from trying to prove they
were a better host city than Canberra (and after they got the conference,
proving they could do a better job of it than anyone previous had).

As long as it's in the right spirit (which l.c.a definitely has been),
that sort of thing's both fun and productive.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004