distributed voting was: [LACTTE] Re: [Linux-aus] AGM agenda tweaking (is it possible)?

Anand Kumria akumria at linux.org.au
Thu Jan 8 10:36:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:20:16AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Anand Kumria wrote:
>

> > On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:13:33PM +1100, Robert Thomson wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:35:25PM +1100, Michael Still banged out:

> > > And of course a proxy speaker if the person doesn't happen to be able
> > > to make it.
> > >
> > > It seems a shame that we'll be voting largely on
> > > who-looks-good-on-the-day, largely precluding those who can't make it
> > > due to other commitments but might make excellent committee members.
> > >
> > > Holding the primary vote at the conference will always have that
> > > effect, I suspect.
> >
> > Well the intention with the constitutional changes is to allow us to
> > divorce the voting place from the conference in future.
>
> And, divorce the SGM's, and AGM's, from the conference, hopefully, as

Eventually, although that is a slightly different debate, which I
suspect would be get someone lost in the various threads going on at the
moment.

A test will be if we can have an SGM towards the middle of the year to
fixup a few other errors in the consititution which were not put on the
table in time.

That will get both the organisation of LA and its members used to
running things distributedly. Perhaps you can assist by looking into
some system that would allow that to happen painlessly?

> previously discussed, which would then make LA as something separate
> from the conferences, and, the conferences being related only to the LCA
> committee, with an opportunity (apart from the benefits of attending the
> conferences) to, as said, put faces to email names.
>
> > Who knows maybe
> > in a few years time we'll be able to have simulatenous conferences in
> > each captial city?
> >

> By videoconferencing? A single, periodic, videoconference, across the
> Internet?
>
> Holding simultaneous conferences, could split resources, with, for
> example, only those in a particular capital city, able to attend
> presentations by particular speakers.

Actually that was intended as a throw-away comment. However thinking
about it more, once tickets are sold out, enabling access to the event
remotely could be a real boon for those in remote areas.

Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never