[Linux-aus] Re: [LACTTE] Constitution Version 6 - Last one!

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Jan 8 09:22:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Stewart Smith wrote:

> And welcome to democracy! We encourage people having a say. This is why
> we wanted to put all changes to constitution etc forward at a GM at the
> conf - where the overwhelming majority of our members would be able to
> be there IN PERSON, participate, feel and *BE* involved.

Again, that clearly demonstrates that Linux Australia is
really only for conference attendees. Your words above - not mine.

And, once again, people can communicate, and, can debate issues and vote
on the issues, across the Internet, using simple tools, like email, etc.
Perhaps, one day, you will realise that, when you are left behind by
everyone else doing it.

> > Ah, people may have disagreed with me, but, I was not the only one who
> > objected to the list being open to all, with non-subscribers being
> > allowed to post, or, who was getting fed up with a spam to message ratio
> > of about 3:1.
>
> The arguments have been put forward before - and you're not contributing
> anything new - shut up.

In cse you didn't bother reading what was written - the point was not
being argued again - it was the way that the matter was handled at the
time.

And, your response above, demonstrates quite clearly what I had said -
the committee appears to sometimes take the approach - "like what we do,
or get stuffed - we don't care.".

And, the spam problem has persisted with the list, with others, not me,
commenting about it, recently.

> > It is not a matter of "conspired efforts to annoy" me; it is more
> > disappointment that what would have been useful, apears to have gone
> > through the "committee routine" - if you want an idea stopped, send it
> > to a committee".
>
> So you'd prefer some kind of secret SGM held in a small back street of
> melbourne in the middle of the year with me and a couple of people
> picked up off the street to change the constitution? Stop contradicting
> yourself - get something to say that's constructive and helpful or don't
> say anything at all.

Again, try reading what was written.

The rest of the message from Stewart, as above, just demonstrates the
encountered belligerence from some of the committee, which is why,
perhaps, in  decade or so, Linux Australia may actually start to think
aboutconducting meetings by email, and, by voting over the Internet, when
email is superseded by videoconferencing types of communication across
the Internet.

Some helpful and constructive suggestions have been made, and, in the
case of the issue of meetings and voting being held over the Internet,
that was done about a year or so ago, and, like many things, buried.

Perhaps, one day, there will be a national Australian (not just NSW
oriented) body, to deal with the interests of the Linux community across
Australia, that is not conference-based, and one that is amenable to
constructive criticism, and one that accepts dissent, all being the
same body...

--
Bret Busby
Armadale