[Linux-aus] "applying" for membership

Anand Kumria akumria at linux.org.au
Wed Jan 7 23:39:02 UTC 2004

Hi Drew,

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:45:31PM +1100, Parsons, Drew wrote:
> I got an email today asking me to "confirm" the application someone,
> "presumeably me" had made in my name today to become a member of Linux
> Australia.
>
> While I did accept membership at LCA2003 in Perth and am in principle
> interested in supporting Linux Australia, I didn't make any such application
> today.
>
> Can you please explain what the hell is going on?

When you register for Linux.Conf.Au there is a checkbox which says 'LA
membership'. Over the past day or so, we've been importing those people
who elected to become members into our database.

Our records seem to indicate that you selected the 'LA membership
option' so we sent you a confirmation email to be sure that was what you
wanted.

> I don't appreciate people taking action in my name behind my back.

Indeed, we figured most people wouldn't. So nothing further will be sent
to you unless you confirm your application.

I hope this clarifies things.

Thanks,
Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never