[Linux-aus] Never mind the MyDoom crap, make some noise about this!

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Mon Feb 9 21:51:01 UTC 2004

Darl hasn't done that in the US. Whose laws we seem to be talking about
emulating. Is this actually possible, or are there controls to prevent
abuses like this?

How do we seperate real threats from scaremongering?

Is it wise for us to be seen to oppose any legislation that seeks to
protect copyright from infringement given that our right to distribute
open source software relies on that protection. We could just as easily
ring a router manufacturers ISP and complain that they are distributing
Linux kernal binaries in their router firmware flash updates without
releasing source in violation of the GPL.

Not trying to start a flamewar or anything. But we all have personal
views on these topics, and I think it might be good to work out which
issues are of vital concern to the Linux community, and which should be
dealt with by organisations like EFA.