[Linux-aus] Please don't get us into the same IP mess as the USA

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Feb 9 18:11:01 UTC 2004

As noble as the FTA's "Intellectual Property" objectives are, they are a
disaster in the digital arena, and getting worse. The theory is well
and good, but in practice companies are claiming the most trivial
advances as their property and using what amounts to barratry to
enforce their claims to ideas which rightfully should be held in
common.

This is turning innovation, particularly in the on-line arena, into a
nightmare of overlapping minefields.

Part of the problem is that "intellectual property" is a very fluid
concept in practice, part of the problem is that some of the
participants in the "intellectual property" fray are extremely powerful
and have an inordinately large vested interest in the outcome (which
*must* unbalance the presentation of "facts" to the decision-makers at
various levels), and part of the problem is that the original, even
nobler goals of copyrights and patents have been completely lost sight
of, traded for more selfish and less productive ends.

Many of the measures entailed in AUSFTA look reasonable in the "view
from ten thousand feet" but their implementation has unsavoury
implications for many individual rights, and has the capacity to impose
significant burdens on small Internet-based businesses.

I speak as an individual, and a busy one, running a small company in the
IT field. I don't have the time and resources to make high-powered
representation to DFAT or to go stumping in support of my needs, nor am
I habitually on lists of people who are told about these things in
advance, so I'm hoping that this "raindrop" will form a small part of a
flood of objection to tying Australia to America's bizarre and
unbalanced approach to innovation.

If there is a formal submission to make with the potential to have a
substantial impact on the outcome of current proceedings, please point
me at it.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA