[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Thu Feb 5 22:23:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 11:57:06PM +1100, Pia Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 17:37, Rusty Russell wrote:
>
> > > 80% of OSV's members are not interested in Linux Australia. Nor are they
> > > interested in AUUG.
>
> > However, I think an industry lobby group for FOSS is well-timed.
>
> If it is open source lobbying then the community involvement could be
> very important to getting the right message and show of support.
>
> I guess I see the benefits in having the community participate in this
> lobbying, not only as a way to get the community concerns and issues
> addressed, but because approaching government with x number of companies
> may not be as powerful as x number of companies PLUS x number of
> individuals voters. Especially when lobbying government.

The message from government is that they don't need any more lobbying.
They need FOSS companies to offer appropriate solutions and to understand
how to sell into government. Hate to say it, but government procurement
people don't want to deal with a 'community' they want to deal with
'industry'.

Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477