[Linux-aus] Media Officer Now

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Wed Feb 4 12:05:01 UTC 2004

I would like to see a small marketing committee running a marketing
website with press releases, facts, posters, school projects etc.
Perhaps off the opensource.org.au site or the linux.org.au site.

Perhaps using http://marketing.openoffice.org/ as a model.

We would need a Media section on the website with all our press
releases, resource, photos, biographies, logos etc for the whole open
source community in Australia including LA, AUUG, OSIA etc. A single
media friendly clearinghouse for OSS news.

The marsrover website is a good example, with sections for media, kids etc.

I think it is preferable, given the many talented people within the
community to have a single outlet for a number of voices, than to have a
single person talking for us all. The marketing committee could be handy
for providing editorial advice/cooling off time in some cases though ;-)

It must be tough for the media these days to get news with reduced
resources etc. If we hand it all to them on a plate, that has got to
help them.

I think the media is only part of the picture though. I just visited the
education part of the OpenOffice site
http://marketing.openoffice.org/education/schools/ courtesy of a
linmagau reference. This really interests me. How to get a bunch of
those colour fliers and an Openoffice CDs out to every school in the
country...hmmmm.