[Linux-aus] A Current Affair Report on MyDoom Tonight

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Wed Feb 4 07:19:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:55:39AM +1100, Michael Still wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Robi Karp wrote:
>
> > There is simply no one, with enough presense, representing Open Source
> > AS A WHOLE to call upon for comment.
> >
> > That's why we need a media office.  Now.

It would be interesting to see this happen.

Don't overlook that FOSS has a media presence it would take a great deal
of money to buy, if it were possible at all. Hundreds of voices large
and small have created this.

FOSS (well, Linux) is in the position where a Managing Director in the
XYZ industry has a fair chance of finding an article about it in the
trade press for the XYZ industry. More true for some industries than
others but still most impressive and worth a fortune in media dollars.

> In all fairness, do a google news search for "AUUG". There are a bunch of
> people over at AUUG already working hard on expanding FOSS' media
> presence. They have been for quite some time.

That's true, over the last year or more AUUG have learned how to work
the media. Gordon Hubbard is the architect of this new expressiveness
for AUUG and deserves praise for a good job well done.

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org