[Linux-aus] A Current Affair Report on MyDoom Tonight

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Feb 3 16:31:01 UTC 2004

<quote who="Brent Wallis (IS)">

> Reporter: "...hackers attacking large software companies like Microsoft
> and SCO..." ??? Large?
>
> M$ Lady: "... malicious hackers attacking us... "
>
> snippets of M$ logos (no SCO ones ???) ...
>
> So blatant! The slant and subtle push to demonise the word "hacker" leave
> me speechless.

Hold on a second... Taking into account that "hacker" is a very commonly
used term for people who do naughty and malicious things with computers
(despite the fact that we believe it's incorrect, blah blah)... What is
wrong with the comments above?

Some dickhead, cracker/hacker/miscreant/whatever, wrote a worm designed to
attack Microsoft and SCO systems. That is indeed the case. There were no
"ooh, those horrible Open Source people being mean to us" comments in the
report, as far as I have heard.

Who were they going to interview? Someone who wasn't being attacked by the
worm? ;-)

- Jeff

   "The Motif interface, with chunkier controls, felt more like a ghetto
                           blaster." - Liam Quin