[Linux-aus] A Current Affair Report on MyDoom Tonight

Brent Wallis (IS) brent at wallis.id.au
Tue Feb 3 16:19:01 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I have just caught 3/4 of a Channel 9 ACA bit on MyDoom and I really can't
believe what I just heard! Some snippets:

Reporter:
"...hackers attacking large software companies like Microsoft and SCO..."
??? Large?

M$ Lady:
"... malicious hackers attacking us... "

snippets of M$ logos (no SCO ones ???) ...

So blatant! The slant and subtle push to demonise the word "hacker" leave me speechless.

Has anyone ever thought to look at the amount of FOSS news bits that have appeared on that show?

When stories spill over into the mainstream concerning any sort of computing, why is just a M$ person or partner thereof called upon to make comment?

Has anyone ever approached entities like "Media Watch" about it?

Let's not forget who has a major shareholding in NINEMSN...

BW