[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] SWPAT: no spwats 4 Xmas -- big surprise in Brussels!

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Thu Dec 23 12:41:17 UTC 2004

Quoting Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au>:

> I like this...
>
>  "I find it hypocritical that a lot of the noise around patents is made
>  by companies that want to compete based on copyright against companies
>  that hold a lot of patents. They somehow want to distinguish between the
>  value of copyright and the value of patents. And I don't think you can
>  have your IP cake and eat it too," says Schwartz.
>
> Can anyone translate for me what The Schwartz is trying to say?

I can try:

"We at Sun are the smartest people on Earth. We invented open source, Unix,
programming, Java, virtual machines, operating systems - you name it. Solaris
is the best and the most widespread operating system in the world. Sparc is the
best and the most widespread hardware architecture in the world. Sun is all
about volume and customers. Red Hat are evil and proprietary - don't deal with
them. They may even call upon the ultimate evil - IBM. My name is Jonathan
Schwartz and I'm all for patents, but whatever I make from mine I give to
charity."

Hope this clears it up for you ;-)

--
Bojan