[Linux-aus] Linux clustering for Apache/PostgreSQL load balancing assistance/advice?

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Sat Dec 11 14:42:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 13:51 +1100, Avi Miller wrote:

> I have a need to provide a client with some advice on how to create a
> load-balancing/failover cluster supporting Apache (with PHP) and a
> PostgreSQL database.

Failover cluster for a pgsql database, you want to look at Slony-I or
ERServer - we had a need for this recently. The winner would be Slony-I,
though there is commercial support lying around for ERServer

Apache load balancing is an interesting issue. Our requirements needed
SSL support too, but packages to look at closer include plb and pound

(okay, so I didn't address load balancing pgsql, or failover of
Apache...)
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi