[Linux-aus] SaMBa using all available CPU

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Wed Dec 1 22:06:02 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 15:07, lug at phormix.com wrote:
> Did you swap to a different architecture?

No, both are Intel Celeries of similar speed. Only hardware differences
are motherboard (one has a built-in via-rhine LAN I/F, the other does
not) and the flaky machine had 1.5GB of RAM, the replacement has only
512kB.

> Kernel optimization another possibility.

Same hard drive == no software changes.

> Also, check that DMA is turned on with the hard drive?

DMA, readhead, all manner of goodness.

If it helps, the CPU useage is split about 50-50 between user and kernel
time, and doing a "refresh" (involves lots of db activity) in the app
results in one smbd using about 60% CPU on a 2.4GHz machine.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia