[Linux-aus] Re: Dealing with the patent process

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Aug 5 00:39:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 12:30:59PM +0930, Ryan Verner wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 11:31, Kimberlee Weatherall wrote:
> > Of course, that will only help you if you are sued in Australia.  If you
> > make something that is non-infringing here, it could still be prevented
> > from being imported into the US if a US patent has been granted.
> This is no new issue though, right?

Right; copyright is international as soon as you write something;
patents are national, and have to be applied for individually in each
country you want them to be enforcable.

You can apply for patents up to 12 months after making the invention
including after showing the invention to the public. That bit's only been
the case in .au for a couple of years now.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.