[Linux-aus] Re: Hooks to the AU patent process

pia at linux.org.au pia at linux.org.au
Wed Aug 4 11:34:02 UTC 2004

Arjen Lentz writes:
> But we can still use all this, if we inventorise and categorise all
> relevant applications. This makes things much more transparent and
> visible for media and politicians. We can point out specific problems
> using real examples. That's always better than generics.
> Basically, I am suggesting, and I think this jives with what Pia was
> aiming for, that we vigorously expose it all. Starting NOW. It is in
> fact a pity we didn't start it before....
>
> Also, we have "friends" at IP Australia. Developers from there have been
> at the Linux confs in the past. We may be able to get some assistance in
> making sense of all this.

Arjen, this is AWESOME! Thankyou! Let's get onto this. Can anyone see ways
to automate this? Help from our "friends" would be useful in understanding
the process, but we need to make sure this process is _totally_ kosher, so
that when we come out with data, it isn't dubious.

To be honest, if we can't automate it, worst case scenario is a rotating
team of people watching the new patents and posting them to linux-aus (or
another list), or even better, to a website (with reminders to linux-aus or
other) so that people can check them when they can. I guess that have a few
teams from different areas would be useful, that way we can bounce different
patents to relevant people who may be able to give prior art off the top of
their heads. I'm certainly willing to coordinate setting this up, as I think
it is a very succinct and quantifiable way to get our point across, while
protecting ourselves at the same time :) I'm going to try put some more
specific ideas together tonight and post them.

We may also be able to ask for anyone being pressured to submit patents to
let us know (anonymously of course).

Pia Smith
President of Linux Australia
http://www.linux.org.au