[Linux-aus] LCA2006 - has any state staked a claim?

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Sep 24 03:12:02 UTC 2003

Anthony Towns (aj at azure.humbug.org.au) wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:20:53PM +1000, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> > We're enthusiastic to see their
> > presentation in Adelaide, and hope that everyone will agree that the
> > Canberra team will have earned the host spot for 2005.
>
> On the other hand, until it's announced, it's anyone's game, and the
> Canberra guys have been flubbed getting l.c.a for each of the past three
> years, so if Melbourne (or anyone else) is feeling particularly energetic,
> there's plenty of scope to scoop them again. Worst case, you've got
> some of the ground work for 2006 done a year early, and you can spend
> 12 months making sure your bid for that conference unbeatable. (That's
> what the Perth guys did, and it worked great)
>
> If there's one thing running an l.c.a isn't about it, it's resting on
> your laurels and assuming you've already done enough.

Aye, aye. I'll second that. We must have had the 'bigger' parts of the
plan in place about two years before hand. Most of it, at least.
There should be mail archives floating about that should be somewhere,
showing what we did. Probably useful to look at the distribution of
messages to work out when 'hot spots' occurred. ;)

We still went to Brisbane in 2001 not knowing if we would get 2003, but we
went to considerable efforts to be 'as prepared as possible'. My
thoughts have been that the descision should be made 2 years in advance;
reason being is that all the bacxkground organisation of 'who is doing
what', and 'where is the venue' has to be done from scratch for each
city, unlike other conferences where its as simple as 'ABC Company is
running the show' (and paid blah% to do so), and 'its the same venue as
last time'.

Put it this way; from around June 2001 we had monthly meetings. From
January 2002 we had weekly meetings. From Around October 2002 it was a few
times a week. I dont remember December or January. I think I didnt leave
the venue unless family threatened to disinherit me. ;)

And.. a few people will say 'physically in once place for a meeting'?
Yes, because it is very quick to beat out all the inconsitences and
misconceptions that people have got from various threads. We ran our
organisation like a business: treasurer, secretary, medisa relations,
speaker wrangler, etc.

Anyways.. back to work now.... ;) (I am actually at GMT +0100, not
+0800)

So, show interest early, get feedback, prepare well in advance.

 James
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to
 Remainder moved to http://www.james.rcpt.to/james/sig.html

I am in London on UK mobile +44 7952 042920.