[Linux-aus] LCA2006 - has any state staked a claim?

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Tue Sep 23 20:23:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 14:57, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> So, what's the status with LCA2005/6? Last I heard Canberra was up for
> 2005, but I don't know whether that was a definite or just an idea. And
> what about 2006? Any signs of interest yet on that?

Hello All,

At the moment, the only solid bid for LCA 2005 that we're aware of is
from Canberra.

We know they've been building enthusiasm towards hosting Linux.Conf.Au
for quite some time now, and I understand they have the tentative
support of ANU. The LA Committee is planning a meeting in Canberra late
this November to (among other things) meet the prospective organizers
and make sure they're on track. We're enthusiastic to see their
presentation in Adelaide, and hope that everyone will agree that the
Canberra team will have earned the host spot for 2005.

--

As for 2006:

We've been keeping our ears to the ground for expressions of interest;
we've heard a few rumbles, and would like to encourage people to work
with their local communities and user groups to see if they would be
willing to put a bid in to host Linux.Conf.Au in 2006.

If you think that you and yours might be interested in throwing your hat
in the ring, please get in touch with one of the LA Committee members
(or all of us at committee at linux.org.au) - Jon, interest on behalf of
LUV noted.

Running a conference of this magnitude takes enormous effort and
commitment - just as the Perth (or Brisbane, or ...) team what they went
through, or the Adelaide team what they are going through presently.
It's worth the effort though - feedback from around the world is pretty
clear that LCA is one of the best technical conferences going - an
awesome testament to our community, and the efforts of the people who
volunteer to run the conferences.

Cheers,

AfC
Secretary