[Linux-aus] [Fwd: Microsoft "Shared Source" Seminar details]

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Tue Sep 23 10:29:03 UTC 2003

David,

I realized afterward that I had used your last name inadvertently.  I apologize
for that.

>You misunderstood my analogy.

I don't think I misunderstood the intent of your analogy.  I just do not think
your analogy was appropriate to my letter, or even to the thread it was on.

I was answering a letter by Mr. Stewart Smith, who was talking about going to
a meeting on Tuesday (and it probably is Tuesday in Australia by now) where
a lecture by a person from Microsoft was going to be given to a group of
University professors, students and administrators.  Stewart asked if there
were questions that he could ask or points that could be made in this
environment.

I spent about an hour typing up a letter, going to Microsoft's site and using
their own words against them, complete with their own URLs.  Maybe it was
overkill on this small group, but if someone else on the list found themselves
in a situation where the issue of "Shared Source" came up, they might be
able to use some of the arguments.  And (as always), putting them down "on
paper" helps to clarify and formalize them in my mind.  So I spent the time,
even though I had plenty of other things to do today.

I did not expect a "thank you", but I also did not expect a letter like yours.

Regards,

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux(R) International

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the US and other countries.