[Linux-aus] Constitution Fun

Pia Smith president at linux.org.au
Wed Sep 17 20:55:02 UTC 2003

Rock on!

Thanks Robert. Some comments below:

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 10:14, Robert Thomson wrote:
> I recommend in 7.1 (register of members) that the register continue to
> hold the mailing address of the members, as well as the email address,
> and possibly other contact details (optional).  It should be a
> member's responsibility to keep this information up to date, by
> notifying LA.

We discussed keeping a record of mailing addresses and decided against
it, as they are hard to keep up to date, and for the most part
irrelevant, seeing we are an online community. I am yet to be convinced
:)

> In 8, I'm having trouble deciphering it (although get the gist).
> Perhaps clean up the wording a little (and remove the double 'after'
> in 8.1.b) ?

I cleaned this up a little. The idea is that the committee has the power
to change to annual fee (which is useful when offering free membership),
and that people have a chance to opt for life membership should they
wish rather than renewing every year.

> 15.b. - I think we should keep the 7 days bit in.  I assume that LA
> will be more organised in the future with respect to the AGM, and
> members (and potential members) will be notified well in advance of
> the AGM (or at least 14 days).  This delay means that candidates have
> to be prepared+serious and that members have the time to find out a
> little about the candidates before they're expected to vote.  Maybe
> make it clear that a member only need be a member at the time of the
> AGM, and may be nominated before they are a member.

What we actually do as policy may be slightly different than the
constitution in this regards. The point of the change is to make sure
that the committee has the option to take votes up to the day of the
election if needed. We will probably in practise keep it to the day
before, simply to allow for new people who are introduced to Linux
Australia at LCA in the days before the AGM have a chance to get
involved (such as most of the current committee :) ). We will certainly
be open for nominations much early and more publicly next year in a
similar fashion to the LUV elections, where nominees are published and
get to put their blurb online. If a person wants to nominate (or be
nominated) it is simple for them to become a member at any rate.

> 16.1 - Email and mail address, and maybe other contact details.  If a
> committee member drops off the Internet, you still should have a way
> to reach them.  (Of course, unofficially that's the way it is atm)

See first point. Open for discussion.

> 20.1's amendment seems superfluous - it already says any medium, so I
> don't see a need to state an electronic medium explicitly.

Good call. Removed unless someone has a good reason to keep it there?

--
Pia Smith <president at linux.org.au>
Linux Australia