[Linux-aus] Alternate Dimensions [Was: Malaysia]

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Sep 2 17:00:31 UTC 2003

<quote who="Jon maddog Hall">

> On the other hand, the Asian philosophies tend to look at long term
> projects with much more ease than current Europeans or people from the US,
> who seem to be more focused on quarterly (or monthly) profits.

Jon,

In your travels, have you found any deeper understanding of why we have
'Free Software Alternate Dimensions' in China, Japan, and South-East Asia
(and elsewhere, but I'm particularly interested in these ones atm)?

[ For anyone who hasn't already heard the 'alternate dimensions' joke, there
are various countries/regions that have almost fully independent Free
Software communities, massive forks of existing projects, and often enough,
awesome new software we rarely get to see. It's alarming, cool and scary all
at the same time. :-) ]

There's obviously a huge language and cultural divide, and possibly less
understanding of basic FOSS 'theory', but I'm sure there's more to it. What
have you learned?

Thanks,

- Jeff

                         Grind'n'wink. That is all.