[Linux-aus] Interesting spin

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Sun Nov 30 14:21:02 UTC 2003

<quote who="Leon Brooks">

> Yes, that's the Open Source Way. Demonising your opponents is the greedy
> corporate way. Responses like my "it's based on copyright" one-ish-liner
> are for when there's no opportunity to sit down and patiently explain
> (otherwise I do, as anyone who knows me well will testify). It's kind of
> like a battle: sometimes you just have to lob a grenade and keep running,
> other times it's possible to negotiate.

Leon,

Sometimes what you see as patience comes across to others as persistence
without an end in sight. AJ made a subtle point about the appropriateness
and/or usefulness of MS flames, to which you replied with a litany of the
evils of MS. It's okay. We've heard it all before. Same with the anti-GPL
blather from them. There's very little point posting this stuff to linux-aus
(unless there's obvious *positive* value to it) because linux-aus *is* the
choir. I'd even caution against taking these kinds of things to non-techies
(and especially the press), because they matter *so little* compared to the
positives.

Please - let's not dwell on the negatives on this list, even when it comes
to strategy and the competition. Strategy != Whinging.

Thanks,

- Jeff

       "So I'll have to talk about what I know instead. If you are so
     inclined, you may infer that I am totally oblivious to anything I
                   don't talk about today." - Larry Wall