[Linux-aus] Fwd: Licensing HOWTO by Eric & Catherine Raymond

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Nov 6 13:55:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 01:37:37PM +1000, Arjen Lentz wrote:
> Hmm... I think they're making their case as a legal assessment. They do
> note an alternative they feel is better suited to the modern world, the
> AFL (Acedemic Free License). Do you have an opinion on that license?

$ cat /usr/share/common-licenses/BSD | wc
     26     225    1499
$ lynx -dump  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/afl-1.2.txt | sed -ne '1,/^-- /p' | wc
     88     772    5044

summarises my opinion of the AFL. It makes sense to have long licenses when
you're worried about copyright enough to not want to keep some of the rights
(like the GPL), but not when you just want to say "do as you will".

Cheers,
aj

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
	-- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda