[Linux-aus] Fwd: Licensing HOWTO by Eric & Catherine Raymond

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Thu Nov 6 11:38:02 UTC 2003

Hi Greg,

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 12:52, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday,  2 November 2003 at 15:08:01 -0800, Arjen Lentz wrote:
> > Here is a good overview of open source licences and their
> > applicability, written by Mr and Mrs Raymond:
> >
> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/Licensing-HOWTO.html
>
> Hmm.  There's some interesting stuff in there, but classifying the
> Apache and BSD licenses as "obsolete" sounds more like opinion than
> fact.

Hmm... I think they're making their case as a legal assessment. They do
note an alternative they feel is better suited to the modern world, the
AFL (Acedemic Free License). Do you have an opinion on that license?

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Melbourne 1 December (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl