[Linux-aus] SCO position, rationale and AUUG

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Fri May 23 11:16:02 UTC 2003

On Thursday 22 May 2003 6:35 pm, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Thursday, 22 May 2003 at 17:34:56 +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:

> > This case is about Unixware, not SCO Unix.
>
> After reading the complaint, I'm not sure what this case is about.

My undertstanding from the court document, is that IBM mis-used the source
code from their UNIX license (originally from AT&T) and from Project
Monterey. It seems to boil down to:

	the improper extraction, use, and dissemination of SCO'S UNIX
	source code and libraries, and unauthorized misuse of UNIX methods,
	concepts, and know-how

from paragraph 96 of the complaint.

SCO's case isn't helped by the fact that they explicitly mention that IBM's
OmniPrint services (para. 91 & 92) and JFS (para 92) - both of which (IBM
says) were ported to Linux from the OS/2 codebase, not the AIX codebase.

Mind you, they also quote Robert LeBlanc saying "We're willing to open source
any part of AIX that the Linux community considers valuable.  We have
open-sourced the journal filesystem, print driver for the Omniprint." which
seems to contradict what IBM say about the source of JFS & OmniPrint. But
seeing as SCO seem quite happy to do things like put the words of someone
else into RMS's mouth on their website then I'm not certain we can trust this
quote either.

> But yes, the old SCO UNIX, now called Open Deathtrap or Open Server,
> is based on System V.3.2.  I have a complete set of the ODT software
> here.

I had the misfortune to have it as one of the over a dozen UNIX variants on a
compiler development network I was jointly managing in 1994. It was almost
(but not quite) the worst out of all of them. It was the only one that didn't
implement symbolic links for a start. :-(

As an aside the worst was a Parsys transputer system running a Unix OS called,
IIRC, Idris - the shutdown, halt and reboot commands didn't work so our MO
for shutting it down was to do a shell script that continually called
/bin/sync and flip the power off. We didn't turn it on very often at all.

> > Bear in mind that one of the reasons that (I was told) Sun went
> > System V for Solaris was because of the fact that the SunOS BSD
> > kernel didn't MP anywhere near as well as System V
>
> So they say, at least nowadays.  I find that hard to believe, given
> that at the time (System V.3(.0)) it didn't have *any* support for
> SMP.  That didn't come until the early 1990s.

This was told to me by either someone from Sun or a Sun reseller back around
94 or 95 as justification for why Sun went System 5 for Solaris. It wasn't
popular where I was and so I'd been asked to find out why they'd done it.

Here's an interesting (though not MP related) tidbit from version 1.74 of the