[Linux-aus] Re: Statement on SCO

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Thu May 22 06:48:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 01:17:57AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Sorry, but this is unfounded, pointing-at-bogeyman silliness. Until someone
> gets up and publishes a Halloween-class document pointing to conspiratorial
> intrigue between Microsoft and SCO [1], I don't think we need to validate
> this inane sensationalist crap by recognising it at all.

Yes, in a perfect world, sticking to what has been validated as fact makes
sense. But more often than not, it's perceptions that matter, and not
reality. Anyways...

> The fight that matters to us is making a public mockery of SCO's laughable
> initial filing, pointing out how serious the allegations are and why they
> matter very deeply to the FOSS community, and coming across as professional,
> capable, committed and confident in our software and community.
>
> Tilting at windmills and wailing at the big-bad-bogeyman of the IT industry
> is fundamentally irrelevant to those goals.

I'll re-iterate my post where I said that I agreed with your idea of
excising the stuff about Microsoft. You'll note that in the OSV release, we
made no mention of Microsoft at all. My input on Microsoft was in response
to Leon's original press-release.

> [ Con, I'm not accusing you of not being a good advocate, I'm suggesting
> that this particular fight - the whole MS angle on the SCO thing - is not
> worth your effort. Unless you're in it for the exposure. ;-) ]

How do you figure I'll get exposure from something like this?

con