[Linux-aus] Re: Statement on SCO

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Wed May 21 16:21:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 02:32:03PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2003 11:45, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > Something along the lines of the GPL and the kernel patch submission
> > process providing extreme screening protection against exactly the
> > kind of apparently baseless complaints that SCO is raising, deploring
> > SCO's sustained ignorance of Linux's importance and capabilities
> > (maybe mention SGI's Altix and the Beowulf system en passant),
> > deploring the capital Microsoft is making of an unfortunate situation
> > by sticking their oar in (note that the GPL depends on intellectual
> > property laws for its operation and that what MS and SCO are seeking
> > to protect is the "right" to play dog-in-the-manger, not the right to
> > intellectual property), and assuring the business community that
> > using Linux is not only safe but pretty much inevitable.
>
> OK... take 1:
>
> BEGIN SPIEL
>
> Linux Australia (LA) and the Society of Linux Professionals Western
> Australia (SLPWA) have come under increasing pressure to respond to the
> Santa Cruz Operation's (SCO) accusations of wholesale code plagiarism
> in the Linux kernel.
>
> SCO continue to disparage the quality control systems involved in
> assembling the Linux kernel, but those systems have driven Linux
> development to capabilities only dreamed of by SCO's own UNIX product,
> and at a much higher pace. Linux now runs on SGI's 64-to-512-processor
> Altix 3000 systems, and powers thousand-processor Beowulf
> supercomputing clusters.

Recommend to spend as little time as possible on a technical pro-Linux
stance, even though we all agree with these statements. How about:

 "SCO were once a dominant player in the Unix-on-Intel marketplace, yet
 failed to capitalise on this dominance with their legacy UNIX platform.
 Linux, written from the ground-up, in a public and openly accountable
 manner, has managed to fairly-and-squarely defeat SCO's product line, by
 offering a better product at better value, benefitting all consumers of
 IT.  SCO is pursuing this case in a desperate effort to compete by way of
 baseless injection of fear and doubt rather than through legitimate open
 and fair competition"

> We openly appeal to Microsoft to play nicely with the Internet community
> instead of working to sow confusion. We realise that Microsoft is

 "It is apprarent that Microsoft, by choosing this time to support
 SCO, is focussed primarily on Machiavellian point-scoring exercises.
 Acts such as this, are also Microsoft's only means of trying to
 slow the rampant growth of Linux and lend weight to industry-wide
 realisation that the company has no other methods for dealing with
 Linux's threat to their core product line."

con